MS Trainsim Won't run on Windows 8.1

Forum to discuss problems with MSTS (not specifically related to CLW products).

Full Name:
Stro Back
Operating System:
other
MSTS-Bin?:
Yes
MSTS Experience:
Advanced User
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:52 am
I'm not able to run MS Train Simulator on Windows 8.1 final version. (It installs OK.)

The Microsoft website says that MS Train Simulator is not compatible with Windows 8.1

I was able to install and run MS Train Simulator on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 Preview without any issues including installing and running many addons etc.

Anyone else having the same problem? Perhaps you've found a work around?

Full Name:
Joseph Korienek
Operating System:
Windows XP
MSTS-Bin?:
Yes
MSTS Experience:
Casual User
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:49 pm
I have the same problem, and was giving up MSTS, until I read about Open Rails train sim. I have been able to use the default routes and cars, and then have been adding back the routes and add-ons I deleted with few problems. The exception is the lights on some locomotives don't seem to shine using ORTS, and the animations in passenger (5) view in VIA observation cars (or various repaints) run 10x faster than normal. The bartender wipes the counter really fast! However, I'm glad I have some way around Win8.
Full Name:
Mark Poklemba
Operating System:
Windows 7
MSTS-Bin?:
Yes
MSTS Experience:
Advanced User
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:21 pm
I know this post is a few months old but this will help you run MSTS on a Windows 8 or 8.1 machine.

If you follow the tutorial on the Steam 4 Me website for installing MSTS on a Windows 7 machine and follow it step for step. You will have no problem running MSTS on Win8 or 8.1. It was for Vista, 7, 8 & 8.1. You have to follow it step by step for it to work correct (Which isn't hard for any noob either). Then you will be able to run both MSTS & ORTS for enjoyment.

And always make sure you install anything with an .exe file (Routes, add-ons, etc) with administrator rights before using any one of those operating systems.

Link to the tutorial is below:
http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/installing_msts_w7.html
Enjoying older & newer railroading in NJ to the fullest !

Full Name:
JALWA ANMOL
Operating System:
Windows 7
MSTS-Bin?:
Yes
MSTS Experience:
Novice
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:10 am
The exception is the lights on some locomotives don't seem to shine using ORTS, and the animations in passenger (5) view in VIA observation cars (or various repaints) run 10x faster than normal....
NOOR

Return to Troubleshooting