RFP2 and PRR Routes.

Forum to discuss problems with MSTS (not specifically related to CLW products).

Full Name:
Gregory Hood
Operating System:
Windows Vista
MSTS-Bin?:
Yes
MSTS Experience:
Casual User
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:56 pm
I ran across the RFP2 zip for the Northeast Regional 67, and it claims that it can be run with the PRR Route. The Stock that is required, is used by MSTS Train Simulator which is
in another folder that is separate from the PRR route. If you can't run PRR inside the main MSTS folder, how can both of these routes run, since PRR can't be installed to the Main MSTS folder. The "read me" folder implies that both are required in order to run. It causes many problems. First, most of the required rolling stock is in the main MSTS folder along
with Consist. Second, these come with Activity Paks, which will not open, because the Utils folder didn't come with the PRR download?. Third, there is a .bat file, that will not open in Vista. I know of a way to do that, but it doesn't work. It works with other .bat files. So in short, I'm just asking about the PRR side of things, and I will contact the author of the RFP2 to see what's going on with the RFP2.
Full Name:
Guy Maricich
Operating System:
Windows XP
MSTS-Bin?:
Yes
MSTS Experience:
Casual User
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:15 pm
Greg,
as for the rolling stock and consists, they can be copied from your reg. MSTS install to the proper folders of PRR-ER if they actually are in your MSTS. if not then it has to be downloaded and installed in the PRR-ER installation. .APK files when created will try to default to the MSTS unless you change the Resistry Path to point to the route you want the activity installed in. Route Riter will do this easily. You change the Registry Path to the Mini-Route installation of PRR-ER, run the .APK file and the activity will be in the route. When your finished you can again use Route Riter to change the Registry Path back to MSTS.
Note: the .APK will not install rolling stock and consists for you.
One other question I believe I asked earlier: Do you have the PRR-ER installed as a Mini-Route? Never saw an answer to that question.
8-)

8-)
Later,
Spud
PNS

Full Name:
Gregory Hood
Operating System:
Windows Vista
MSTS-Bin?:
Yes
MSTS Experience:
Casual User
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:53 am
Yes, it's loaded as a Mini Route, however, the Utils folder was not present in the Train Simulator-PRR folder when I first downloaded it from this site. Also, following the directions
of how to download MSTS on Vista/W7, the Utils folder was present, but some files were left out within that folder so I'm not able to do anything with tsunpack to unpack an activity. I get the error "Failed to read route info" when I try to open Amtrak 67 (PRR), and when I try to open Amtrak 67(RF&P) I get an error "This Package requires route called RF&P, UID:RFP2". Also when I run the .bat file, I think it's looking for the 6 default folders from MSTS. Should I just copy them over? :)
Full Name:
Guy Maricich
Operating System:
Windows XP
MSTS-Bin?:
Yes
MSTS Experience:
Casual User
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:23 pm
Just searched the Trainsim.com file library for "RFP2.zip" and the only thing that comes up is a route for the CSX and as such has nothing to do with the PRR-ER. A search for "Amtrak 67" produces and activity that is written for the NEC V4 route, nothing to do with the PRR-ER again.
The error you quote "This Package requires route called RF&P tells you that it is for a route by that name not the PRR-ER. You seem to be trying to install a second route into the PRR-ER route, wont work, sorry PRR-ER is a STAND ALONE Mini- Route if you try altering it your not going to have any luck. If you have placed another routes files into the PRR-ER Train Simulator-PRR folder I would strongly suggest you delete them from the PRR install at once. Hopefully you have not placed them into any folders that were already there.
Now for some sage advice for somebody that has "been there, done that and lived to regret it". Get the PRR-ER as downloaded and updated ONLY, nothing else, running correctly with no other added activities, bells, whistles, or sharp sticks involved. Just the plain vanilla route and then make a backup COPY of the route to a backup folder of your choice or making. Now when things go sour you can always get back to go and collect your $200.
To embellish, you CAN NOT add another route to the PRR-ER, you CAN NOT add an activity for another route to the PRR-ER even if it is for the same track area in another route. You CAN add activities that are written for the PRR-ER to the route. Now that being said remember that this route has been in development for eight years and has been released in stages and some activities in the file library that were written for the PRR-ER were written for earlier versions and probably will not work with the present version.
I have forgotten where you said your PRR-ER route came from, the CD, here at CLW or from Trainsim .com? If from Trainsim.com there are more files to download, same route just smaller file sizes in the 8 parts and those 8 parts and the fixes 02, 03, 04, 05 can cause confusion. Which source did you use?
One more bit of advice NEVER install more than one thing at a time into ANY route you have. Install one activity or update and then test the route and/or activity extensively to insure all is well. When it works as advertised then you can install the next thing. When you start using a shotgun approach and there are problems you do not have a good idea which change made it not work. One at a time at least gives you a starting point.
Being paranoid myself I never throw anything directly into PRR-ER the first go around. I will direct it to a 'junk folder' so I can see exactly each and every file it is trying to install into my PRR-ER and can check if it is trying to over write any existing files. If it is trying to over write files I make a backup of them first. That way I have a copy of what is where and can use that to remove all the new files and replace any files over written by the install. Might seem like a lot of work but its better than installing every thing from scratch. (been there done that!!!!). And when all is right in the PRR-ER world I then make a new backup of the route replacing the old one I have.
Happy railroading Greg!
:D
Later,
Spud
PNS
Full Name:
Guy Maricich
Operating System:
Windows XP
MSTS-Bin?:
Yes
MSTS Experience:
Casual User
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:49 pm
Greg,
Things I have noted about activities for MSTS routes be they default, add on or Mini routes. The folks that tend to write activities are rather avid virtual railroad fans :mrgreen: and tend to have an extensive collections of add on rolling stock and use it within the activity. :o Nothing wrong with this at all but you either have to have that same rolling stock on you installation or you have to substitute what you have for their stuff. :arrow: I NEVER have any luck trying to do this but then I have an excuse, I'm left handed :D Case in point I downloaded an activity named emenola2 by Robert Gallagher. It is a 2 part activity that just in part one requires 15 Consists. These require 44 .wag and 10 .eng files in 15 downloads from trainsim.com and 1 download from CLW (here) and a folder to be copied from the default MSTS installation for default .wag files. :shock:
This is typical for any good activities and even with all these downloads obtained I still had to correct errors for about 3-4 days before I got it working in the route. Just pointing out that activities will almost always take a lot of work on your part to get them working so just be aware of that. :!:
Later,
Spud
PNS

Return to Troubleshooting